Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Here are a few definitions of "mother" that I found:
  • A female who has given birth to offspring
  • A woman who raises a child.
  • Used as a title for a woman respected for her wisdom and age.
Of course, that doesn't begin to describe what a 'mom' is or what she does. A mom is everything (and even that doesn't do the word justice.

You're a dependable source of comfort;
You're my cushion when I fall.
You help in times of trouble;
You support me whenever I call.

I love you more than you know;
You have my total respect.
If I had my choice of mothers,
You'd be the one I'd select!

By Joanna Fuchs

It always seems to be tough for me to give a proper tribute to my mom around mother's day because I'm so much more busy than I am at her birthday, so I'm happy to be able to have her special day be so soon afterward. My dad and mom are the best role models I could have. They are supportive and strong, passionate and loving, caring but flexible, and have always pushed me but allowed me to be my independent self.

My mom has always been the one I can talk to (sorry, Dad, I cry whenever I try to talk to you, and you know it). She has always been my 'true north', helping me find my way. She is my light and my direction. She is the reason I am still here today. And I love her for everything she has done to help me be the man I am - the teacher, the father, the husband - who cares and loves, listens, learns, and supports. I hope someday to be half the parent that either one of mine have been and continue to be to me.

Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment