Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Feeling that autumn feeling ...

I love late summer.

And I hate late summer.

In my honest opinion, the weather is awesome. It doesn't get unbearably warm. School still hasn't started yet. Baseball (at least professional baseball) is in full penant-chase (and wild card race) mode. Football has started up (at the youth, high school, college, and professional levels) and games that mean something will be here soon. Does it get any better?

Well, there are some negatives, too (which is what I mean by 'hate' late summer). School is starting back up soon - and isn't the anticipation so much worse than the real thing? The days are getting shorter - and I DEFINITELY don't need LESS sun in my life. The mosquitos come around earlier in the evening, pushing me inside. Leaves are beginning to fall - and will need to be raked (or mowed up). And baseball ... is almost over. Bummer.

So, you see, my love/hate relationship with late summer (and autumn) is about as honest a relationship as you could find. I try to enjoy it every year. Seems it brings some mood swings with it, though, too. Thankfully, I have an understanding (and AWESOME!) wife (and family). I'll try to make sure those trips to the last few baseball games, as well as to Camp Randall and Lambeau Field, along with my kids' continued enjoyment of late summer/autumn activities, help bring a smile to my face and a joy to my heart that outweigh the darker days that bring darker moods.

Because, when I can be happier, I can pass 'happy' on! And truly, that's what I want to do!

So, let's bask in that remaining sun, get our fill of 'happy', and spread the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment